Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Saved by the dogs

by Darshani

During Novitiate Programme at Kushinara

During the pindapata by the Burmese community, we were offered various food and delicacies. After days of having rather bland food, it was a treat! One of the sweets offered was ice cream. I could not wait for the lunch offerings to the monks, speeches and blessing to finish so that I could dig in.

Finally, the wait was over and I dug in. Yucks! It’s not ice cream! It’s yogurt and tasted like burnt rice! As I was under the precept to eat everything that was offered, I decided to mix some of the yucky yogurt with the rice. Not great but bearable :-P As I was contemplating how to finish the rest of the yogurt, a few dogs got into the tent and proceeded to lick and gobbled up whatever they could reach and one of the ‘victim’ was my cup of yogurt :-)

Was I happy with their intervention! Now I could really enjoy the rest of the yummy treats :-)

I know I should view the yogurt as just food; food to sustain the body, to continue to practice. But I am just so not there yet!

Thank you Devas for sending the dogs and saved my lunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment